Just Plain Pitiful: Words cannot describe the round of 64 loss to Michigan.
by Griffin H.
Pitiful: evoking or deserving contempt by smallness, poor quality,etc.
Synonyms: abject, affecting, afflicted, arousing, base,beggarly, cheap, cheerless, comfortless,commiserate,
compassionate, contemptible,deplorable, despicable, dismal, distressed,distressing, grievous, heartbreaking,
heartrending, inadequate, insignificant, joyless,lamentable, low, mean, miserable, mournful,moving, paltry, pathetic,
piteous, pitiable, sad,scurvy, shabby, sorrowful, sorry, stirring,suffering, tearful, touching, vile, woeful,worthless,
Antonyms: excellent, happy, superb, superior, wonderful,worthwhile.
Sounds about right to me. After playing a close first half, the Vols “unraveled” in the second half. I did not watch much of the second half but I’ll tell you what I did see. I saw a 4 point halftime deficit. Then, I took a break for halftime. The next thing I saw was a 17 or 18 point deficit, then I saw 23, and finally saw a final score of 75-45. I also saw that meant that Michigan outscored the Vols 42-16 in the second half. And let me tell you, everything that I saw was indescribable, and not in a good way. Tobias Harris scored 19, the only Vol to score double-digit points. Scotty Hopson had 4 points. Michigan will play Duke on Sunday. As for the Vols, they will not play again until November and perhaps without Bruce Pearl, Harris, or Hopson. The future is definitely cloudy for the Vols, no one really knows how next year’s team will shape up, but we do know this: This year’s team’s ending was pretty pitiful.
In Other UT Sports:
- The Lady Vols beat Stetson in the first round of the Tournament. They will play Marquette on Monday.
- Tennessee finished 12th at the NCAA Women’s Swimming and Diving Championship.
- The Lady Vols tennis (#18) lost to #17 Notre Dame.
- The Baseball team beat Kentucky 12-8.
- The #16 Lady Vols rowing team beat Minnesota to open the spring schedule.
Factoids of the Day:
- The game was the most lopsided margin of defeat under Bruce Pearl (30).
- Michigan is the first team to win an NCAA Tournament game without making a free-throw
- The game was the largest ever margin of victory of an 8 seed.
Griffin can be reached at email@example.com, or leave a comment. You can also check out my new Youtube account: teens4tn.